|With the unique needs of older adults in mind, Generations’ Therapy Clinics now offers an award winning Driver Assessment Program to assist older adults in evaluating their driving abilities. The Driver Assessment Program uses off-road testing performed by specially trained Occupational Therapists.
Keeping Older Adults Safe on the Road
- The Driver Assessment Program goes above and beyond a mere subjective exam of vision and physical ability as it relates to driving.
- Strength impairments such as the inability to maintain a firm grip on the steering wheel could compromise a driver's ability to maintain lane position or execute turns. Therefore, we perform objective measurements to assess the individual’s ability to physically perform driving functions.
- Attention impairments, such as the inability to divide attention among multiple tasks may endanger others on the road. Using objective cognitive measurement tools we assess the individual’s ability to drive.
Driver Assessment Program Details
- The evaluation takes approximately two hours. Evaluation results are discussed with the client and referrals are made for further evaluation and training as needed.
- Results and recommendations are sent to the client's physician.
- The physician uses the results to make informed decisions about the client's ability to independently and safely operate a motor vehicle.
Participating in the Driver Assessment Program provides older adults with useful information that allows them to have objective conversations with their family and physician about their driving abilities.
Our clinics are Medicare-certified and we are able to work with a variety of insurance companies.
Please call us at 503-654-1939 for more information or send email us at Driver@GenerationsLLC.com.