The first step is always to determine the level of care your family needs. Knowing whether you would benefit most from Independent or Assisted Living, or may need Memory Care helps narrow down the choices. Once you know what kind of care you’re looking for, determine your budget. Senior living community prices vary wildly, as affordable and luxury options exist. When deciding how much you’re willing and able to spend, keep in mind there exist a variety of ways to supplement your costs. These can include long term care and life insurance, veterans benefits, local government programs, Medicare/Medicaid, and contributions from family members. After deciding on a price point and a type of community you would like to explore, choose your top choices and arrange for tours. Most communities will offer virtual options as well for those with difficulties touring in person.
Things to consider when choosing your perfect community:
- Are the grounds and buildings clean, pleasant, and kept well?
- Is the neighborhood safe? Quiet?
- Is my community accessible for my family? Is there ample parking available?
- Is the facility easy to navigate and well lit?
- Does this include ramps and other aids for seniors with disabilities?
- Do residents have their own private living spaces?
- Are rooms personalized and open for residents to bring in photos/mementos/etc.?
- What’s the ratio of staff to residents?
- Are pets allowed?
- Are there visiting hours, or can guests visit at any time?
- Do residents need renter’s insurance?
- Is smoking allowed?
- Is there transportation?